- Health Information Management
- North Star Recovery
- 80 Hours
- Full Time
- Administrative / Clerical
The Outpatient Coder is responsible for coding Emergency Room records for reimbursement, research and compliance purposes.
- High School Diploma required
- RHIA, CCS, CPC, CHA, or CPMA preferred
- Knowledge of ICD and CPT codes, medical record practices, and abstracting.
- Training and Experience
- 2 years experience in coding
- Code Outpatient records for the purpose of reimbursement, research, internal retrieval needs and compliance with federal regulations according to diagnosis(es), operation(s), using the ICD codes, plus the HCPS code system.
- Enter all data into computer from inpatient documentation and the patient super bill.
- Point of Contact/Liaison
- Serve as a resource to in-house hospital staff, PFS, Physician Coding, and other departments involved in the process of Coding and Billing for Inpatients.
- Resolve issues between Inpatient and ancillary offices and administrative/billing areas in order to optimize reimbursement.
- Oversee inpatient coding to ensure daily procedures function efficiently.
- Identify process improvement initiatives related to coding and charging of inpatient services.
- Training and education of staff and providers on coding processes and compliance.
- Provide or coordinate education sessions on billing processes, coding compliance issues, and other areas that affect the reimbursement of inpatient charges.
- Work closely with HIM to facilitate comprehensive medical record documentation to reflect clinical treatment, decisions, and diagnoses for patients.
- Maintain current knowledge of optimum coding practice by reviewing newsletters, attending seminars, developing 3rd party contacts, etc.
- Developing coding and billing audit plans and ensuring timely completion of coding and billing audits and dissemination of audit findings.
- Perform various internal coding/reimbursement audits, analyze data, and recommend any necessary changes.
- Identify inpatient services provided, but not adequately documented in the medical record.
- Analyze and resolve inpatient claim rejections and denials from the billing system or insurance carriers related to coding issues.
- Develop and maintain effective tools and methodologies to appropriately monitor coding and billing compliance.
- Identify trends/problems in medical documentation and recommend possible solutions.
- Compiling monthly/quarterly reports as requested/required.
- 8:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M.
- Overtime Possible