- Health Information Management
- North Star Recovery
- 80 Hours
- Full Time
- Administrative / Clerical
The Emergency Room Coder is responsible for coding Emergency Room records for reimbursement, research and compliance purposes.
- High School Diploma required
- RHIA, CCS, CPC, CHA, or CPMA preferred
- Knowledge of ICD and CPT codes, medical record practices, and abstracting.
- Training and Experience
- 2 years experience in coding
- Code Emergency Room records for the purpose of reimbursement, research, internal retrieval needs and compliance with federal regulations according to diagnosis(es), operation(s), using the ICD codes, plus the HCPS code system.
- Enter all data into computer from inpatient documentation and the patient super bill.
- Point of Contact/Liaison
- Serve as a resource to in-house hospital staff, PFS, Physician Coding, and other departments involved in the process of Coding and Billing for Inpatients.
- Resolve issues between Inpatient and ancillary offices and administrative/billing areas in order to optimize reimbursement.
- Oversee inpatient coding to ensure daily procedures function efficiently.
- Identify process improvement initiatives related to coding and charging of inpatient services.
- Training and education of staff and providers on coding processes and compliance.
- Provide or coordinate education sessions on billing processes, coding compliance issues, and other areas that affect the reimbursement of inpatient charges.
- Work closely with HIM to facilitate comprehensive medical record documentation to reflect clinical treatment, decisions, and diagnoses for patients.
- Maintain current knowledge of optimum coding practice by reviewing newsletters, attending seminars, developing 3rd party contacts, etc.
- Developing coding and billing audit plans and ensuring timely completion of coding and billing audits and dissemination of audit findings.
- Perform various internal coding/reimbursement audits, analyze data, and recommend any necessary changes.
- Identify inpatient services provided, but not adequately documented in the medical record.
- Analyze and resolve inpatient claim rejections and denials from the billing system or insurance carriers related to coding issues.
- Develop and maintain effective tools and methodologies to appropriately monitor coding and billing compliance.
- Identify trends/problems in medical documentation and recommend possible solutions.
- Compiling monthly/quarterly reports as requested/required.
- 8:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M.
- Overtime Possible