- Surgical Services
- 80 Hours
- Full Time
- Patient Direct Care
The OR Technician is responsible for promoting and maintaining quality patient care through effective management of activities on that designated unit. The OR Technician acts as a mentor, resource, educator and leader at bedside. The OR Technician is responsible and accountable to the Team Leader for that designated unit.
- Graduated from an accredited School or College
- CPR and ACLS certified
- Training and Experience
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and ability in personnel management, administrative coordination, policies and committee activities.
- Knowledge and skill to review workload standards and staffing needs based on productivity, and skill in cost containment measures.
- Ability to collaborate with medical staff in day-to-day environment to establish coordinated department function and program development.
- Excellent oral and written communication, which allow preparation of correspondence, reports, oral presentations, etc.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assess sterility of all packs and instruments prior to opening on sterile field.
- Anticipate need for additional equipment and supplies and havethem available in the OR suite.
- Identify need for multidisciplinary team involvement and notify involved department or team in appropriate time frame.
- Knowledgeable of surgical procedures performed in the Operating Room and uses educational material within the department as needed.
- Utilizes preference sheets prior to each case for any updates since procedure last performed.
- Knowledgeable of equipment use and trouble shooting during procedures.
- Able to identify and implement patient safety issues throughout the intra-operative period, such as: bovie plate, safety strap, body alignment, leg holders, and notifies the surgeon and anesthesia of concerns.
- Performs skin preps using AORN standards taking into account physician preference.
- Correctly identifies specimen and present to Lab according to departmental policy.
- Assist with room turnover in a timely manner after cases to promote and enhance flow of surgical schedule.
- Participates in Time Out.
- Properly operates and maintains all equipment relevant to the patient care areas.
- Knowledgeable of aseptic technique demonstrated through opening room and skin preps.
- Direct and participate in sponge, needle and instrument counts according to department policy.
- Communicates breaks in sterile technique immediately and takes immediate corrective action.
- Monday – Friday
- 6:45 am – 3:15 pm